Original Non-Fiction: An Alien Encounter

Mama Fisi
Mama Fisi's picture

The grey aliens showed up on Sunday.

At first, I thought it was only the one; I heard it before I ever saw it, its weird cry echoing through the woods.  Then I caught sight of it, a small creature, misshapen, indescribably ugly, vaguely reptilian, with large, dark eyes, and  warty protruberances on its pale face.  Strangely, it seemed terrified of me, running away and trying desperately to find a way through the fence that encircled my field.

Its terror gave me courage, and I tried to approach it, speaking with what I hoped sounded like reassuring tones, thinking that perhaps I could be of some assistance to the poor lost creature.  But it wanted nothing to do with me, and with a shrill cackle it gave a mighty leap, cleared the fence, and ran away faster than I could catch up to it.

That afternoon, I called my neighbor to apprise her of the situation.  Although she hadn't seen them yet, she told me that our other neighbor had reported finding a strange carcass in his yard, like nothing he had ever seen before, and so we figured that the grey alien I'd spotted had to have had a companion, which had met with a terrible end.  Perhaps their transporter had gone horribly awry, vaporizing the wanderer and leaving nothing but his speckled outer coating behind.  This could explain why the one I'd encountered was in such a state of agitation.

I began to feel sorry for the little lost thing, all alone in a strange and hostile world, but the next morning, there were two of them in the yard, chattering to each other from opposite sides of my fence.  Well!  This was a turn, indeed!  Using a pair of binoculars, I ascertained that the newcomer wore a different uniform, but whether his lack of white markings indicated a superior or a subordinate, I could not tell.

Going by the Golden Rule, I set out food that I hoped they could eat, and left bowls of water at strategic points around the yard, just in case they were thirsty after their long journey.  I tried to figure out where they might have come from, and the best way to help them return to their home, because by now it was clear that they were quite lost and confused.  I think they spent that night in a tree on my front lawn.

The next morning, though, our dog discovered them, and roused everyone from slumber with a tremendous row.  The two grey aliens, shrieking and chattering, disappeared, and that was the last I saw of them for several days.

I found myself missing them.  Sure, they were ugly and alien and they didn't belong here, but that's what made them appealing to me.  They hadn't threatened me in any way, but I knew that the woods around our house would be full of unknown dangers to them, and I worried about them.

Two days later, my neighbor called me to warn me, "You know those aliens you were talking about?  Well, they're at the end of your driveway!"  Shortly afterwards, my husband came home from work, reporting that he'd almost hit one with the car.  They might be able to fly through space, but they sure weren't very road-savvy.

That was when I decided that they were better off in my yard.  I put the dogs away and opened the driveway gate, then walked the long way around so I could come up from behind them.  I moved very slowly so as not to frighten them again--they'd had a pretty rough week. 

I noticed that they were talking between themselves in a soft, whistling language, which I tried to emulate.  It must have worked, because they showed no fear of me and let me get quite near, and in this way I slowly guided them along the driveway while they picked up pebbles, examined them, and dropped them like enthusiastic beach-combers.  A rabbit hopped up to them, regarded them curiously, then continued about her business, and still the two grey aliens quietly discussed things in that soft, whispering chirp of theirs.  Whatever their business here was, it had to be a peaceful mission.

Very carefully, I walked them up the driveway, dreading the moment when they might take it into their helmeted heads to turn and flee, but with great good luck and the hand of Providence for help, they went in through the gate to investigate a pile of food I'd earlier set out for them.  As they fell upon it with starved relish, I quietly closed the gate.

They've been here ever since.  I don't think any of us quite know what comes next, but they seem to be content to explore the confines of my rather large yard, and I'm gratified that they are relatively safe from harm.  I instructed the dogs that they were not to disturb our guests, and so far they've accepted the situation.

I'd like to help them get home, but I must confess, I'd hate to see them leave.  They're kind of neat to have around.  And they've gotten used to me, or at least, they realize I mean them no harm.  This morning, the one with the white markings actually came toward me when I brought them their breakfast, but it still didn't trust me enough to allow me to get closer than ten feet.  I think they may have slept in my shed last night, because it was raining so hard, and the persimmon tree isn't very waterproof.

I wouldn't have wanted grey aliens to live in my shed, but now that they're here, I hope they stick around.